Is there really an easy way to pick a wedding venue? At the end of the day it is not a place you have to live in for the rest of your life but it is the place you will have wedding photos of from for the rest of your life. Considering that you plan on only doing it once. Just to make things a bit more complicated for myself, I knew that I have to find my venue online since I do not have the time to travel back and forth to visit each one.
I am not going to say that picking the wedding venue is the most important decision of your life, let’s not get too crazy you still have a dress to pick! But it is definitely a significant decision you have to make as an engaged couple. Check below my list of questions for the venue. Please have in mind that I have found my venue online, never seen in real life so this list is very detailed to reduce any nasty surprises in the future!
- Where is it?
- Is it in your budget?
- How many guests can venue locate (maximum and minimum amount)?
- Can your guests book a room to stay in nearby or in the venue?
- Is photography is permitted throughout the venue?
- What time can wedding start?
- What time does it have to finish?
- When can florist start decorating?
- Is there another wedding day before?
- Can you have your own contractors such as band/DJ, photographer etc?
- When is the last date to confirm number of guests?
- Is there going to be a venue manager available during the event?
- Is there parking? How far from the venue? How many cars does it hold?
- What style does venue has?
- Can you use any decorating company you want or do they collaborate with a specific one?
- How much can you personalize this venue e.g. can you use candles, hang lights etc?
- What is the table plan and can we adapt it to our vision?
- Does the venue has any decorations we can use?
- What is the lighting like?
- What is exactly in the price e.g. linens?
- Do you pay per head or venue?
- How much do you pay per guest, per child, and is price different for food for contractor e.g. photographer?
- What is damage policy e.g. guest drops a wine glass?
- What is the cancelation policy?
- How much is the deposit?
- When should I pay?
- Do they provide food?
- What food they do provide?
- Can you alter menu?
- Can you bring your own caterers?
- How many waitress will be working during your wedding?
- When is final date to sign off menu?
- Do they provide cake?
- Does venue provide alcohol in a price?
- Do you have to pay corkage if you bring your own alcohol?
- Is there a professional barman?
- Till what time they serve alcohol?
- Do staff speaks your language?
- Is there fridge we can use?
- Are there any discounts/Do they collaborate with hotels nearby?
- Where can I store expensive/precious things e.g. cameras? Is there a safe?
My Specific Questions
- Can party be outdoors?
- Can I get married outdoors? Some countries have rules how the place of ceremony should look like.
- How often/in what intervals do they serve food?
Hope this helps any bride no matter if you are getting married abroad or not, if you have a chance to see the venue or have to book it online as I did! There is not such a thing as silly question especially when you pay for it.
What other questions would you ask?